Saturday, July 5, 2008

Art vs Craft

There are many definitions that try to explain the difference between what is "art" and what is "crafts." Here's mine - a craft generally has a purpose other than how it looks, while art has no purpose than how it looks and the emotional reponse that comes with it.

Some things can fall into both catagories, while others will fall just into one. A beautiful detailed quilt could be either, while a simple blanket would be a craft.

Just my opinion. Not meant to be taken any other way.

I brought this up because I was thinking about how art can effect different people in different ways.




Abstract Art is a good example of this. Teen Emotions, pictured to the left, was meant to represent the constantly changing emotions of a teenage male. Mostly dark, but with sudden, unexpected moments of light. Most people see this. Yet, others state that it's, "...an angry painting. It makes me feel angry looking at it. I could not sleep with that in the room..."



In Abstract Art, difference in opinion is the norm, and that is how it should be.

That said, it is interesting when art of a recognizable item is taken differently.




As my readers know, I have been playing with sketching flowers, with a wash background, and painting the sketch.



To the right is Pansies - a 9" x 12" acylics on board canvas. Four simple bearded pansies on a blue wash background. Many people love it.

Yet the first thing my husband said when he was it, was, "...they look like mean, little bearded men...evil little dwarves..."

After his comment, I can see that, but I never would have thought that before.

What do YOU think? Flowers or evil bearded men?

Have you ever seen something completely different in a painting than what everyone else saw?

Leave a comment and let me know!

2 comments:

My Art Garden said...

I still haven't figured out the difference between Art & Crafts!
:)

13 Delancey Street said...

Now that you mention it, I could see a street gang with those three pansies in the middle. But that only makes me like it more!